Monday, February 7, 2011

Nutty Vegetable Masala rice | Indian Rice Recipes

I had bookmarked this recipe from vahrehvah.com a few months ago. While I was busy browsing my bookmarks last week, bumped on this one and immediately chose to do this. This is a very simple and yet tasty rice with all the combination of the spices. An absolute favorite. I have made minor modifications to the masala powder, reduced the amount of peanuts and substituted with walnuts because they are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Also added carrots and baby corns to make it colorful.





Ingredients:
Serves - 2-3
Rice - 1 1/2 cups
Carrot - 1 medium sized - julienned
Baby corn - 5 or 6 - cut into thin strips
Capsicum/Green bell pepper - julienned - 1 cup
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 tsp
Dry roast and powder:
Urad dhal - 2 tsp
Coriander 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1/2" stick
Peanuts - 1 1/2 tbsp
Walnuts- 1 1/2 tbsp
Dry red chillies - 3 or 4


Method:
Cook rice adding 3 cups of water with 1/2 tsp of oil and a big pinch of salt in a pressure cooker or stove top. When done, fluff it with fork and allow it to cool in a wide pan. Dry roast the ingredients under 'Dry roast and powder' one by one and allow to cool. When cooled powder in a blender/food processor.
Heat oil in a pan and add the carrots, baby corns and capsicum in the order specified. Saute in high heat until the veggies are half-cooked. Add salt at this stage, along with the ground spice powder. Saute for 2 mins and then add the cooled cooked rice. Mix well with the masala but take care not to break the rice. Serve hot with any raita of your choice. This is a perfect one-pot meal.




37 comments:

  1. Looks delish and yum ....now my turn to bookmark :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lovely space, Krithi. First time here... Thanks to Tahemeem

    Do drop by my blog, when time permits..

    Sujana
    http://worldofsujana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome one pot meal..Vahchef rocks :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krithi
    thanks for your lovely comments.
    following you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rice with walnuts, Great Idea!! healthy rice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious masala rice..very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nuts in rice, thats truly interesting...great looking comforting food..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would just love to grab the whole plate and have the masala rice which looks very tempting and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your recipe sounds so good ... lovely combination of spices. Thanks for sharing,Krithi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from Tahemeem blog..Gald to see yummy recipes and blog.. Following you..
    Nutty veg rice looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rice preparation looks awesome. Drooling over it.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! You had me at 'nutty.' I will love anything with that flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tireless one pot meal.. U've made it perfect Krithi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delicious! I have a couple of similar rice dishes ready to be blogged -

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the masala u used....nutty and veggie ...good combo..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice recipe...........first time in your blog............pls visit my blog also....
    http://experimentswithtaste.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy rice item looks delish. By the by Thank u krithi for giving me the idea of posting my event posted as u r advice thank u once again. Love u.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice and healthy rice!
    Tkz for stopping by in my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rice preparation looks awesome. Drooling over it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like that you used nuts in the rice - that sounds fantastic! Lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks really delicious. I love how easy it is to make. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love rice items this is too good

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by Krithi. Loved the idea of nuts, masala and rice combined. Very creative. I am going to make this for my lunch box tommorow ;-)

    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Krithi,

    I kept my promise and here is my version of this rice. Thanks for the Idea.

    http://yummyodds.blogspot.com/2011/03/fruit-nut-purple-rice.html

    -Mythreyi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Am moot a big fan of these kind of variety rices n guess what? DH always likes it! ;)
    Will try it without carrots and corn!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.