Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hawaiian Fried Rice

"Hawai'i". The name makes me feel nostalgic and takes me to those days when I lived there. I was working in Honolulu for nearly an year before I got married and moved to U.S. East Coast. The main thing I miss is the climate. Hawai'i has a tropical climate year-round, like in India. And of course I miss the beaches, bus-rides, culture and the workplace. The city of Honolulu is well connected by buses and the culture and people of Hawai'i are so genuine. The workplace was stress-free and enjoyable. Even now when I think I feel I had been so lucky to spend time there. Ok.. about my Hawaiian fried rice. It is not an authentic Hawaiian dish. I decided to name it so because it has pineapples and coconut in it.




Ingredients:

Rice - 1 1/2 cups
Coconut milk - 1 1/2 cups
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Pineapple - chopped - 3/4 cup (I used about 6 oz of the canned pineapple)
Mixed Vegetables chopped finely - 2 1/2 cups
(I used Carrot, Green beans, Bell pepper, Cabbage, Spring onion greens)
Green chillies - 1 - slit lengthwise
Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Fresh Ground pepper - 1/2 tsp
Sesame oil / gingelly oil - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste



Method:

Pressure cook the rice with a pinch of salt, drizzle of oil, mix of coconut milk and water. You may also cook on stove-top. Adding salt to the rice while cooking gives the rice a jasmine white color. When rice is done fluff it with a fork and spread on a plate and allow it to cool about 15 mins. When cool pop the plate open into the fridge and refridgerate for mininum 30 - 45 mins.
We do this because the pineapple is going to add some moisture to the rice and so the cooked rice needs to be little dry.
In a wide kadai, heat sesame oil, and when it is piping hot, add the slit green chilli and the carrots, string beans and garlic paste. Saute in high heat for 2 mins and add the cabbage and green pepper and saute until the bell peppers are lightly cooked but retain their crunch. Now add pineapple chunks and saute for 1 minute and add the rice and salt and pepper to taste. Remember we already added a green chilli and add pepper as required. Mix with the vegetables and take care not to break the rice. Garnish with scallions/spring onion greens and serve hot. The aroma of the coconut with the pineapple fills your kitchen and your soul.



I am sending this to Winter Warmers event by The Veggie Hut.



Sending this to Srivalli's Kid's Delight hosted by Nupur of UK-Rasoi, for the month of April 2012.

21 comments:

  1. This looks really superb. I just love the coconut milk flavour in your rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, I love anything with coconut and pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hawaiin fried rice hooks me and pineapple will give a sweet and sour taste....loving it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fried rice looks damn tempting, just drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are lucky my girl !! We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon , visit Maui and Ohau and I fell in Love with that place, the huge mountains,the green blue sea .. breath taking !! We want to go there again and again .. great dish .. tried Hawaiian Pizza .. it's time to try the rice now :)
    www.kankanasaxena.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow looks so colorful and pleasant..!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.. u lived in Hawaii... i am so jealous...i love hawaii... and love the hawaiian fried rice u made... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hawaiian fried rice looks flavorful and mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds nice...I love pineapple and always preserve them...so I guess...I should try this..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoo..look delicious, am definitely bookmarking..what a great mishmash of flavors..yum :)

    Hawai is a place i always wanted to go, I can not believe you lived there *jealous* lol..

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv the Sweetish fried rice with fruits....and its colorful too

    ReplyDelete
  12. totally loved the rice-- yummy combo of flavours !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hy Krithi,
    First time here..nice space you have ...awesome recipes...happy to follow u..
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have a beautiful space here Krithi. this rice looks amzing...truly depict the bright colours of Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty rice dish..loving the green hue in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. very interesting addition of coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow....u live in Hawaii.....it must be so thrilling :).
    I also loved the look of you blog and as for the fried rice....the colorful vegetables peeping from the white rice looks wonderful and tempting...will definately be trying this.Thanks

    http://priyanka-cooking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Came here thru my blog. Thank u for the nice words.
    Scrolling thru some of ur recipes, my attention was captured by this fried rice, I LIKE!
    I guess, a day old rice would work well here (but am figuring out how the coconut milk can then be added)

    ReplyDelete
  19. really very nice fried rice

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.