Saturday, January 29, 2011

Spicy Potato Fry / Urulai Kaara kari

Potatoes are nevertheless the most favourite vegetable liked by kids and grown-ups equally and is rich in carbohydrates. Urulai Kaara kari is the regular way I prepare potatoes whenever I make them because we love this spicy version. 


Ingredients:
Potato - 2 medium sized
Onion - 1 cup - finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 3/4 tsp or to taste
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana dhal - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp



Method:
Boil the potatoes with salt. Peel and cut them into 1" cubes. Heat oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters add the chana dhal and saute for 1 min. Adding chana dhal gives a crunchy bite to the potatoes and I love it. Add the finely chopped onions and saute them until they are golden brown color (close to caramelize). Sauteing the onions for caramelizing gives a unique taste to this fry. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears. Now add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and saute for 2 mins. Now add salt and the potato and mix until all the cubes are coated with onion mixture. Saute in medium heat until the potatoes turn to golden brown color, mixing carefully. If needed you can add 1 tsp of oil at this stage. Serve hot with any rice of your choice.  I would love this combo with curd rice/rasam rice.
Also check out my Fiestaa potatoes.




I am also sending to 'Veggie/fruit of the month - Potato' event by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan guest hosted by Divya.

Potato

13 comments:

  1. Delicious,me too prepare this almost the same way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav potato .. i love it anyway :)
    www.kankanasaxena.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy, I love the way you prepared it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. adding ginger garlic paste sounds yumy and new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely potato dish....looks yummy.
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  6. this spicy potato curry looks delicious easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. slurrrrrrrrrp the potato curry looks droolworthy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My all time favorite...
    looks very tempting dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super yummy :) I love potato in any form :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just drooling here, sooo tempting potato fry..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prepared this today, just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Yum! That looks great. Would be perfect with Pooris :)

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.