Thursday, September 5, 2013

Homemade Granola with Oats, Nuts and Pear Puree

When I wanted to make granola at home I had no clue as to how and where to start. But one thing I had decided was not to use sugar and definitely use a fresh fruit puree. And there began my search for the best home made granolas. The recipes I came across had a lot of ingredients (I cannot say complex) while I had sworn to keep it simple. Needless to say those recipes had a pretty good amount of sugar added which is the whole point for me to make granola at home. Then I arrived at TheKitchn's website for the granola formula. It was very simple to understand..come on I had gone through loads of website with lots of ingredients and was totally lost. So out of the blue if you give me a formula (felt like I was in my chemistry lab again) I would be pleasantly surprised and happy. I gathered the ingredients and ta-da! Simple Home made granola!
Ingredients:
Makes 4 servings
Rolled oats - 1-1/2 cups
Almonds - 1/4 cup - chopped roughly
Pista - 1/4 cup - chopped roughly
Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
Ground Ginger - 1/8 tsp
Ground Nutmeg - 1/8 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Pear - 1 medium sized - puree - approx 1/3 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp (any light tasting oil would work)
Agave nectar - 3 tbsp
Method:
Preheat the oven to 300 F. Mix the oats and nuts in a large bowl. Whisk the rest of the ingredients well and pour over the oats mixture. Mix well and spread on a parchment lined baking sheet (a 9x9 inch pan would be sufficient for this batch). Bake in the oven for 45 minutes mixing every 15 minutes. Allow it to cool for at least 30 mins, remember the granola hardens when it cools. So if the oats is still soft when you take it out of the oven, no worries needed as the granola becomes crispy after cooling. Serve with milk for breakfast or pack in a ziploc for a snack. Layer with fruits and yogurt for a parfait.. that is what I did!!
Linking this up for Vegan Thursdays. Also linking to Healthy Breakfast, Bake Fest by Vardhini, Srivalli's Kid's Delight - After School Bites.

11 comments:

  1. perfect breakfast and loved the use of fresh fruit puree instead of sugar...very healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, healthy breakfast!

    Thank you very much for linking up to Bake Fest <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great for breakfast!!! so yummy!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  4. super healthy granola :) prefect and filling breakfast recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very healthy and tasty looking granola and oats. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect healthy breakfast. Thanks for linking to my event. Looking for more yummy recipes

    ongoing event: Healthy breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple and crunchy luking ones... i donno y can't i find rolled oats in supermarkets... next time ll ve to dig in
    Ongoing Event-Back 2 School

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,thats an incredible granola, wat a brilliant idea to use fruit puree..Thats fabulous Krithi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very yumm and love the idea of fruit puree in this...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! We sometimes forget how easily we can make delicious meals from scratch.

    Thanks for contributing to the Bake Fest!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.