Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bread Upma | Upma Recipes

When we met my friend last month in a get-together, he asked if my blog is focused on women or people who are experts in cooking. I said "No, it is for everyone". He then suggested me to post some recipes which are easy so that bachelors or newbies can try. So I decided to tag/label my easy-to-cook recipes as "Quickies/Bachelor(ette) cooking" per his request and here it goes.
Bread upma is my favorite snack and perfect for a light yet filling breakfast/dinner. 
Ingredients:
Bread - 8-10 slices (I used wholegrain bread)
Onion - chopped - 1 cup
Dried red chilli - 2 - broken
Sambar powder - 1/2 tsp or Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp + Corainder powder - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana dhal - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Coriander leaves/Cilantro - To garnish
Method:
Cut the bread slices to 1" pieces. Heat oil in a wide pan and add the mustard seeds and chana dhal. When the mustard seed splutters add the dried red chilli and onions. Fry until the onions turn transparent, add the sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for 2 mins and pop in the bread pieces. Turn the heat to low and mix gently until the onion is well coated on the bread pieces. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Sending this to Food Palette Series - Brown event by Akheela and Fast Food not Fat Food event by Priya.


Sending this to Srivalli's Breakfast Mela.

38 comments:

  1. delicious bread upma.lovely dish.cute presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super pics and delicious recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious and Ur post reminded me that I've d same post sitting in my drafts.. Great Cliks Krithi

    ReplyDelete
  4. its my BIL's fav...he doesnt eat anything other upma than this one....looks tempting!
    Smitha
    Smitha's Spicy Flavors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect for those hunger pangs n my fav too :)


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bread Upma looks aweomely delicious and inviting.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice recipe,luks delicious dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious recipe... it mostly figures at least once in my weekly menu !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, lovely, One of my quick breakfasts! gud clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this bread upma. comes in quite handy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious. I always love bread upma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love bread upma... Easy to make and tasty too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bread upma happens to be one of my favourite breakfast item. This is looking so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious bread upma, never say no to them..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect upma.A great twist from the usual bread ,butter, jam.my mom makes this so yummy and she will add veggies too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so flavorful!! I make them the same way but i also add lemon juice at the end or u cud also add about 2 spoons dahi when u fry the masala before adding the bread pieces along with some veggies (only if im in d mood to chop...LOL!)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey,

    Bread uppuma looks soo yummy...pass me the plate please!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, loved the idea of making upma with bread. Honestly, I've never tasted it before.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very creative sounds awesome. Never tried this but should try u r version thank u.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely recipe, can be fixed in minutes for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for linking this delicious bread upma perfect for anytime

    ReplyDelete
  22. perfect breakfast recipe, and nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very delicious and spicy recipe dear, quick and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. excellent and lovely bread upma perfect snack.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,
    You have an award in my blog. Please visit and collect the award.
    Thanks
    Vimitha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,

    You have a award in my blog. Please accept it !!

    Regards,
    Sravani

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very easy and delicious! I will be waiting for your future posts under this tag!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always a quick fix at my home - Looks delicious, Krithi :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks so delicious, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is my fav recipe.. Quick and delicious.. Thanks for sharing.. Love it :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.