Sunday, December 21, 2014

Butter Biscuits - Bakery Style / Fake Butter Biscuits | Vegan Cookies Recipes

I totally love these white, puffy biscuits which we get in the bakeries in India. My grandma even used to make this with her small electric oven she had at home. I honestly did not even think of attempting to make these at home. But with the holiday season and all the cookies I have been planning to bake, I thought why not try this. I came across this recipe and gave it a go. As the name indicates it is not made with butter but with oil or shortening. 
Ingredients:
Makes 12-15 cookies
All purpose flour / Maida - 1 cup
Powdered sugar - 3/4 cup
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt -  a dash
Oil - 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (see notes below)
Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Sieve the dry ingredients together for a couple of minutes. Add the oil little by little to form a crumbly mixture (not a dough exactly). You may or may not need the 1 tbsp of oil, if you could form firm balls with the crumbly mixture do not add the 1 tbsp. Make small balls and place them on the baking sheet. Flatten it ever so slightly. Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes. When done, the cookies will appear a little cracked at the top but still be too soft. It will harden as it cools. 
Notes:
Use shortening instead of oil if desired. If the specified amount is not enough try adding more teaspoon at a time as needed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I tried this. Taste was wonderful. But I overbaked it.... I left only for 10 min i 180 C still the cookies turned brown....

    I think I am making a mistake. A technical question. I have a OTG that has heating rods in the top and bottom. While baking cookies and cake which rod should be on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vidya, thanks for the feedback. I have not used the OTG. But I think the top rack would be a good choice in OTG

      Delete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.