Monday, April 15, 2013

Soya Chukka / Soy Chunks Spicy Stir-Fry | Indian Soy Recipes

I picked up this bag of soy chunks on my grocery shopping last time, hoping to make something as a protein-rich snack. Not being a vegetarian myself I was not crazy about these when I was young. But tastes change as we grow, don't they. I thought I would give it another try and this chukka is my first attempt. When I came to know about Radhika's Tickling Palates being the featured blog in Tried & Tasted this month I knew I was definitely going to participate. Her's is a lovely space with so many homestyle and authentic recipes. I was going through her Recipe Index and guess what I found.. This easy to make Soya Chukka! I bookmarked it immediately and tried it pretty soon. This is great as an evening snack or as a side dish for rice or roti.
Ingredients:
Serves - 2; Preparation Time - 30 mins
Soy Chunks - 1 cup
Pearl onions / Sambar onions - 12 (peeled and halved)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp (1 tsp if using kashmiri, I used spicy chilli powder so used only 1/2 tsp)
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind extract - 2 tbsp (optional)
Pepper powder + Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp (recipe called for crushing fresh pepper and cumin seeds but I took a shortcut)
Cilantro / Coriander leaves - a little for garnish
Salt - to taste
Oil - as needed

Method:
Heat about 5 cups of water in a saucepan. When it comes to a rolling boil, remove from heat and add the soy chunks. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze the excess water and repeat rinse and squeeze with three exchanges of water. After final rinse and squeeze cut the soy balls into small pieces as desired. Set aside. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a kadai and saute the pearl onions until pink. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute in medium heat for 2 minutes. Now add the spice powders (except pepper + cumin) and fry for a couple more minutes. Add 2 tbsp of oil (if the onion mixture is dry) and add the cut soy chunks with salt  and tamarind extract and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes or until the soy chunks are cooked through. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot as a side for rice.
Notes:
1. Definitely use pearl onions. Substituting with regular onions would not even be close.
2. I am planning to skip the tamarind next time.
Linking this to Tried & Tasted event by Lakshmi.

18 comments:

  1. Just bought some soya chunks.. will try it out.
    Looks so tasty..

    ReplyDelete
  2. super,super am drooling over here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delectable soya stir fry.

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/04/rava-semolina-idli.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and healthy soya chunks.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried a soya stir fry, only made curry and rice with them :) really a recipe to try, looks superb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kno nly a few recipes with soya chunks.. Bookmarking ths

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soya chunks are my fav! looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am yet to make this interesting soya chukka, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious Krithi.. Never tried soya stir fry... looks yummm..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy recipe,loved this version...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Healthy n tempting one,yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks healthy and delicious krithi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This recipe looks great and sounds wonderful! I love the ingredients for the recipe especially the design! I think my family would love to eat this one. Thank you for sharing!

    Stir Fry Recipe

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.