Sunday, October 18, 2015

Cinnamon Palm Sugar Granola | Breakfast Recipes

Ever since my granola fever, I had been making batches of granola quite frequently. My major use of granola is a quick to reach item for the mid-afternoon (sweet) snack crave. I did not have an idea of doing a blog post on this particular variety, but when some of my friends asked for the pictures/recipe for this when I posted on FB, I couldn't help but click some pictures and do a write-up.
I have used palm sugar as the sweetener and have made my own palm sugar syrup. Since it is an unrefined sugar, you would have to filter the syrup for impurities before use. If you could not get palm sugar, the closest alternative would be molasses (1/2 cup) but honey/maple syrup/agave can also be used.

Ingredients:
Makes 4 cups of granola
Rolled oats - 3 cups + 1 cup
Quinoa, uncooked - 1/2 cup
Pecans, raw, chopped - 1/2 cup
Palm sugar - 1/2 cup, tightly packed
Oil - 1/4 cup (any light tasting oil would work)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 tbsp
Vanilla - 1 tsp (optional)
Pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup

Method:
To make palm sugar syrup:
Take a heaping 1/2 cup of palm sugar with 2 tbsp of water and heat until warm. Filter through a fine mesh sieve and cool. This can be made in advance and stored in a closed glass jar in the fridge.
Preheat the oven to 275 F/ 140 C. Pulse 1 cup of oats in blender for a couple of times. Mix rolled oats, ground oats, cinnamon, quinoa, nuts, oil, palm sugar syrup, vanilla, salt and pumpkin seeds. Line a baking sheet with foil, spread mixture and bake 25 minutes. Mix and bake again for 10 minutes. Repeat the mixing after 10 minutes. 
Turn the oven off and place the door ajar and allow the granola to cool inside the oven. After an hour, remove the granola pan and cool completely. Store in airtight container.
Notes:
If using roasted nuts and/or pumpkin seeds add them at the final 10 minutes of baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.