Thursday, November 13, 2014

Crystallized Ginger / Candied Ginger / Inji Murappa

Ginger, the warm spice is a integral part of every Indian kitchen. It is a great medicine for cold, cough and sore throat. A teaspoon of ginger juice mixed with equal part of honey relieves sore throat and cough immediately (source: self experience). It also aids in digestion and thereby improves metabolism.
Crystallised Ginger known as Inji Murabba in tamil (well "Murabba" is an arabic word meaning sweet preserve) is famous for it anti-nausea properties and sold in railway stations and bus-stands in India. People who have motion sickness would buy these to help them during the travel.
My son has a serious case of motion sickness and the I wanted to try giving this to him. Incidentally I came across this recipe and never had a second thought to try it. But I was skeptical if he would like ginger. Thankfully he loved them since it has a crispy sugar coating. I have made a couple of batches since then and always had with me when we travel. 


Ingredients:
Fresh Ginger - 1/2 lb (250 g) 
Sugar - 1-1/2 cups, divided
Water - 1-1/2 cups

Method:
Peel and slice the ginger root into thin rounds (about 1/8 in thickness). When I measured the peeled and sliced ginger it came to about 2 cups. Mix 1 cup sugar with 1-1/2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and add the sliced ginger. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 45-50 minutes until the ginger is cooked and soft. If the water evaporates before the ginger cooks, add water little by little to enable cooking. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the remaining 1/2 cup sugar evenly. When the ginger is cooked, remove the pieces with a slotted spoon and spread over the sugar in a single layer. Coat all sides with sugar and allow it to cool for 2 hours or more as needed, even overnight. When the ginger is completely dry, transfer to a airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. Love this ginger, i also made this one and loved by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ginger and am going to give this a try. I know I will love it and it is good for you too. Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.