Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Ellu Urundai / Sesame Laddoos | Indian Festival Recipes

Sesame seeds is an integral part of any asian cuisine. So is it in south India. Yesterday was Ganesh Chaturthi and I made this sesame laddus with Kozhukattai for offering to Lord Ganesha. With only two ingredients it is a breeze to prepare and tastes really good. Trust me when I say that it gets ready in under 10 minutes. It is rich in Iron and Calcium and one of the simple and healthy snacks grandma prepares when we were kids.

Ingredients:
Makes 8 small laddus; measurements in 160 ml cup
Black Sesame seeds - 1 cup (can use white sesame too)
Grated Jaggery - 3/4 cup - loosely packed

Method:
Heat a tawa until it is smoking hot. Drop the sesame seeds and roast in medium heat. The sesame seeds will pop. Continue to dry roast until the popping stops, about 3-5 minutes in total for me. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool. Place the cooled sesame seeds in a mixie/blender and pulse twice. Add the jaggery and pulse for about 5-7 times until the mixture comes together in clumps. Remove from the mixie and make balls of desired size. 
Linking this up to Kid's Delight - After School Bites; Whats with my Cuppa 2 by Nupur.

9 comments:

  1. This is my favorite! I like black ellu urundai than white one..in fact, I never tasted white ellu urundai! :)

    This time am gonna try it with white sesame seeds as thats the only one available in my pantry right now! hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat an easy recipe.. My mom makes with white ellu. I have never tried with black..

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very healthy and delicious ellu urundai :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. healthy and tasty laddu .. Love the fact it is black one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only small kids , but kids of all ages would love to have it. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.