Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blackberry French Toast

Blackberry French Toast is a basic tried and tested french toast recipe which I tweaked in a little. I made it colorful and interesting by adding chopped blackberries. The french toast was pretty with lovely speckles of berries on it. I made this for Sunday morning breakfast, when I like to indulge and treat myself in contrast to the weekday's regular cereals and oatmeal. Also check out my French Toast with Stuffed Walnuts here. Now on to the recipe for Blackberry French Toast.
Ingredients:
Serves 1
Bread slices - 2 (I used whole grain)
Egg - 1
Milk - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 2 tsp
Blackberries - 5 or 6
Salt - a pinch
Method:
Beat egg and sugar with a fork or whisk until pale. Add salt and milk and mix together. Chop the blackberries coarsely and add to the egg mix. Set aside for 5 mins if you want the color of the berry to steep in the mix. Otherwise start right away. Cut the bread slices into desired shape. Spray a hot griddle with non-stick spray. Dip the bread slice in the egg mix and place it on the hot griddle. Toast for about 2 mins and flip. Cook for another minute until brown. Serve hot dusted with sugar or honey and with fresh fruits.
Note: Would you be convinced if I say the berries here were frozen? Yes, I used the fresh berries which I froze before a couple of weeks. I wash the fresh berries and allow them to air dry. Then I transfer it to the same pack it came in and put the pack in a plastic cover or ziploc bag and pop it in freezer. It stays fresh for long and tastes the same and bleeds much slower than the store-bought frozen berries.



Sending this decadent french toast to Breakfast Club - Berries event by Helen of Fuss Free Flavours, guest hosted by Nayna of Simply Food. Also to Food Palette series - Purple event by Akheela.


Sending this to Srivalli's Kid's Delight hosted by Nupur of UK-Rasoi, for the month of April 2012.

43 comments:

  1. Yummy french toasts.Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for linking this delicious toast and for the tip of freezing berries
    this looks delicious and the berries look fresh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drooling over this awesome and satisfying breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy recipe...Thanks for the informative tip....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! Beautiful clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding blackberries to it is so tempting...Sure want to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy is the word for this platter ~ tempting and my mouth is watering :D
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  8. perfect way to start a day..yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh that looks yummilicious! How i wish we could get blueberries here too..Loved the 5th click. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely and delicious.. love the presentation too :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! looks so yummy...Its been ages since I had french toast...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love french toasts for breakfast... This looks so fruity and yum

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it-love -love it ! absolutely delightful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! such a yummy french toast. perfect for special breakfast..
    Sunanda's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow looks so yummy and perfect breakfast !! loved it !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect and delicious breakfast,,beautiful clicks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect breakfast recipe dear.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Omg, i would love to have this toast even everyday,highly irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Krithi! I love this! I make french toasts sometimes because my kids love them, but I have never added blackberries before. Wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious and so pretty looking toast..loved the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds too gud and nice idea for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  22. French toasts are such an awsm treat for weekend mornings. I love it all the time. Like your version too!
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks very tempting. Just a perfect summer time breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow yummy looking toast...first time here u have a nice space with nice collection of recipes

    ReplyDelete
  25. French toast lokks fabulous, looks inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seriously , I've never thought of adding thi s fruit in my toast..Super idea and lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I left a comment before, but unfortunately did not go through. (google issues)...thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. At the time I followed you, is when I left my comment.
    I love the blacberry addition to the French toast. I also freeze extra berries...comes in quite handy.
    I have blackberries just enough to make the French toast, and will link it back to you when I make it.
    I invite you to follow my blog, as well:D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful clicks and looks very tasty!

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Blackberry french toast is wonderful idea for kid's breakfast, Love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mouthwatering Keerthi ..looks so tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks delicious! First time visitor and I really enjoyed your blog :)

    Visit me @ http://totefullofveggies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Woww.. Thats soo new for me. I have to try this :) Thank you for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  33. love the addition of balckberry in french toast..sound yum!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the addition of blackberry, looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  35. berry addition is great! would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks amazing thanks for the entry.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh wow, this looks so darn tempting! I could have them anytime. Will try this next time I come home with a box of those tempting antioxidants..:) Btw your berries are a beauty, they look fresh and not frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  38. oooh this french toast looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looking at the pics made me immediately crave for some sweet bread. Beautiful clicks and posts. So sad I havent been following your blog since all these days!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.