Sunday, September 18, 2011

Microwave Masala Kadalai / Savory Crusted Peanuts in Microwave

We all love peanuts. Salted boiled peanuts is my personal favorite way of munching peanuts, although peanut butter and this masala peanuts are the close next. Nuts are my favorite way of snacking and I always stock up on Almonds, Walnuts and Peanuts. Did you know that peanut is not actually a nut but belongs to the legume family. But still it has the highest protein content than other nuts. Peanuts is also high in anti-oxidant content, richer than in Green Tea!! 
Masala Kadalai is generally a deep fried snack. I used MW but still came up with the same taste and crunch but in only 15 mins from scratch to end with very less oil. This can be made real quick when you are craving for something crunchy. This is adapted from Mallika Badrinath's South Indian Microwave Cooking Cookbook.
Ingredients:
Cooking time - 15 mins; MW power - 900W
Raw Peanuts (shelled) - 1 1/2 cups
Besan/Kadalai Maavu/Chick Pea Flour - 2 tbsp heaped
Rice Flour - 1 tbsp - heaped
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - a big pinch
Salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Water - as required
Oil - 4 tbsp

Method:
In a wide bottomed glass (or any microwave-proof) bowl heat the oil in Microwave oven for 4 mins. Meanwhile, mix the peanuts, besan, rice flour, chilli powder, cumin powder and salt. Sprinkle water a teaspoon at a time and mix. Repeat until the mixture is coated all over the peanuts and resembles a crumble. Add the mixture to the hot oil and mix until the oil is coated all over. Microwave for 6 minutes stirring once in between. Allow 3 minutes of standing time (Leave in the microwave for 3 minutes undisturbed after it is done). Perfect snack with a cup of tea.
I am sending this to MEC - Teatime snacks event by Srivalli, MLLA- #39 event by SusanKid's Delight - Party Snacks, Flavors of South India and to Let's Cook - Hibernative Foods.

44 comments:

  1. Interesting recepie...only I do not use microwave nor have one;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarked this one!thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick and yummy...love to munch some now..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and crunchy looking peanuts. Wonderfully prepared.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious and feels like munching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey...thats a quickie...i remember this from a neighbor too..i think she used to soak the peanuts for 5 - 6 hrs before making this. guess u can try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect snack.. looks absolutely delicious.. thanks for sharing dear :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's superb Krithi.I love them so dearly.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this and done is MW is just wow ...looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  10. Masala kadhai looks crunchy. Perfect snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow just now had this,love this with a cup of coffee...luks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crispy & a healthy snack!!!! I love having peanuts this way too!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Krithi..thanks so much for sharing such a yummy recipe. Loved it absolutely. Crispy snack for kids and all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are my all time fav looks great

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...Such a tempting and easy to make snack...

    Sure this is one of my favorite snack i do at home...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sending them over to me. I love the mw version

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my favourite snack! I'd love to crunch on them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the microwaved version of this yummy snack!! Cant wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My fav anytime,feel like munching some..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love masala kadalai. This method sounds good. Lemme try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. quick n easy munching looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks so crunchy and yummy, so easy to make..perfect snack..

    ReplyDelete
  23. i can just keep munching on these forever

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfect snack.....microwave version is very intelligent & innovative.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfect tea time snack. I like this microwave quick version and note dowm.

    Cheers,
    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh.. I love them kirthi.. Just made them last week for blog hop wednesday..



    Jabeen's Corner

    Ongoing Event - Bonjour

    Find me on Facebook..

    Jabeen's Corner

    Come join in our face book page..

    Food Court

    ReplyDelete
  27. I make this too .. in the oven though. Totally addictive .. I should make some now :)

    Zesty Palette

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brings back childhood memories, this snack. Most of my family including aunts and uncles loved it, never was in short supply. Glad to see it again after long. Nice space you have here Krithi.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I too make them in microwave but a bit different.Will try your version soon as I am a big fan of this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have saved this to give a try. Would love to munch these with some drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. just tooooo good Krithi !! perfect tea time snack !

    Cheers
    Kalyani
    Join me in a 100-day Global Food Festival here

    ReplyDelete
  32. My idea of these peanuts has always been that they are deep fried. This is a healthier way of eating them. You could consider linking it to fast food not fat food event here
    Do check out my event and send me your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice alternative to the deep fried ones.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.